Using Microsoft Teams in the Classroom
This document provides information and links to training resources on how to use Microsoft Teams for delivering classes in an online environment.
Accessing Microsoft Teams
- Teams can be accessed on your computer if you have Office 365 installed. Please refer to the Using Microsoft Teams Knowledge Base document for instructions on how to open Teams.
- If you need to install Office 365 on your personal computer, please refer to the Install Office 365 on a Personal Device Knowledge Base document for instructions on how to do this.
- Teams can be accessed online. Login to your Western staff/student email account.
- Go to www.westerntc.edu, click on the Current Students link at the top of the page, click on the Email link and login to your Western student email account.
- Click on the App Launcher icon in the upper left corner.
- Select Teams from the list of applications.
Uses for Microsoft Teams
- Create teams for group meetings and collaboration. Select the Teams icon from the menu on the left.
- Instructors can create teams for each class.
- Students can create their own teams for group work.
- Chat can be used for groups or individual, one-on-one conversations. Chats are persistent, so the chat history is kept. You can also do an instant video call from Chat. Select the Chat icon from the menu on the left.
- Schedule group meetings to deliver face-to-face classes online.
- Use the Meet Now feature to setup a virtual office hour.
- Students can use meetings for group project work.
- Meetings can be recorded so the material can be shared later.
- Can be scheduled through your Outlook calendar or using the Channel Meeting option. The Calendar icon in Teams menu is your personal calendar from Outlook.
- Share content during a meeting.
- Blur your background during a meeting to avoid distractions.
- Channels can be used to create modules of the course content.
- You can create documents from other Office 365 apps from within Teams. Click the Apps icon in the menu on the left.
Training and How-To Resources
- General Help and Learning - https://support.office.com/en-us/teams
- Getting started with creating teams - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/microsoft-teams-5aa4431a-8a3c-4aa5-87a6-b6401abea114?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#ID0EAABAAA=Get_Started
- How to create a Team - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-class-team-in-microsoft-teams-fae422eb-58b7-4431-9ff2-a4b9b6ae7c5b
- Add students to a Team - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-a-student-to-a-class-team-b88263bb-ace1-4702-8a48-f8a2cf4af954
- Quick Guide to setup virtual class meeting - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/remote-learning
- Share content during a meeting - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-content-in-a-meeting-in-teams-fcc2bf59-aecd-4481-8f99-ce55dd836ce8
- Blur background for meeting - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/blur-your-background-in-a-teams-meeting-f77a2381-443a-499d-825e-509a140f4780
- Record a meeting - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/record-a-meeting-in-teams-34dfbe7f-b07d-4a27-b4c6-de62f1348c24
- Sharing a recorded meeting - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/play-and-share-a-meeting-recording-in-teams-7d7e5dc5-9ae4-4b94-8589-27496037e8fa
- Share screen during a chat - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-your-screen-in-a-chat-in-teams-2de1c624-7fbe-4b0a-99f2-33385e7d3f18
- Assigning presenter roles for a meeting - https://office365itpros.com/2019/12/09/assign-presenters-teams-meeting/
- Using Microsoft Whiteboard during a meeting - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-whiteboard-in-microsoft-teams-7a6e7218-e9dc-4ccc-89aa-b1a0bb9c31ee?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
- Using Live Captions during a meeting. (Only available through the desktop app) - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-live-captions-in-a-Teams-meeting-4be2d304-f675-4b57-8347-cbd000a21260
- How to join a meeting (students) - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/join-a-meeting-in-teams-1613bb53-f3fa-431e-85a9-d6a91e3468c9
- Additional training topics for educators - https://education.microsoft.com/en-us
- More training resources for using teams in classroom - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/instructor-led-training-teams-landing-page#pivot=tab1&panel=tab1-all
- Tips for successful meetings - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/9-tips-for-having-the-best-online-meeting-experience-with/ba-p/1218884