Technology and Software Recommendations for Most Classes
Here is a list of recommendations of the minimum hardware specifications for a student’s personal computer/laptop, the software that is needed for most classes, and other technology related items.
Computer/Laptop Hardware Specs:
1. Western does not support the use of Chromebooks due to issues with installing software that is needed for classes, such as Office 365.
a. Chromebooks do not work with the Lockdown Browser testing software that is used.
2. Students are not able to do all assignments on their smartphone, so we encourage students to have a computer or laptop with these minimum hardware specs:
a. 128 GB hard drive (minimum) for school related software/files (SSD – Solid State Drive is recommended)
b. 4 GB memory (minimum)
c. AMD Ryzen or Intel Core i-Series processor (such as i3, i5, i7)
d. Windows 10 operating system (not Windows 10S or Windows 10 Home in S Mode)
e. Speakers (built-in or external). Can use ear buds/headphones in place of external speakers
f. Web camera w/microphone (usually built into most laptops or can purchase it separately)
1. Office 365 (Please refer to our Install Office 365 on a Personal Device Knowledge Base document for instructions on how to download and install Office 365)
2. Recommended web browsers: Chrome or Firefox
3. Lockdown Browser (software used for online testing for many classes)
a. Chromebooks do not work with Lockdown Browser. It cannot be installed on a Chromebook.
b. Please refer to our Lockdown Browser for Windows Download and Install Knowledge Base document for installing Lockdown Browser on a Windows based computer.
c. Please refer to our Lockdown Browser for MacOS Download and Install Knowledge Base document for installing Lockdown Browser on a Mac OS based computer.
1. Internet access is required to access MyWestern account and Blackboard from off campus.
2. Please check with your instructor if you plan on using Apple products (iPads, iMacs). Some software isn’t supported on a Mac operating system and only work with Windows operating system.
3. Please contact your instructors for any additional hardware/software requirements for your specific program.
4. Western’s Knowledge Base has a wide variety of documents available to assist students with passwords, software and other computer related questions.