File Storage Options for Staff and Students
This document provides information on where staff and students can store their files.
When considering file storage, it is better if you create backups of your files, so they are stored in at least two places because electronic devices can fail, even USB devices.
- I: Drive – This is a personal storage space on the network, which is only accessible to the individual user and has a 20 GB size limit. Each staff member and student is assigned an I: drive. The I: drive can only be accessed from computers on campus.
- F: Drive – This network storage space is used by faculty for sharing classroom data. The F: drive is automatically mapped on all classroom computers and is only accessible from computers on campus.
- H: Drive – This network storage space is used by departments for file sharing. Some of the folders have restricted access. The H: drive is only accessible to staff members from computers on campus.
- Please do not store any files on classroom computers. If the computer crashes or if the computer is replaced, Information Technology Services is not responsible for recovering any data which may be lost.
Office and Staff Computers:
- When you store files on any office or staff computer, you are responsible for backing up these files. If the computer crashes and your files are lost, Information Technology Services is not responsible for recovering any of the lost files.
- Please contact PC Service if you would like assistance with setting up a weekly backup of the data on your office computer.
Other Storage Options:
- External USB Device – Use a USB key drive (thumb drive, flash drive) for storing your files.
- OneDrive for Business – All staff and students have access to free online storage (1 TB) through your Western email account. Files saved on OneDrive for Business can be accessed from any device with an internet connection and from classroom/office computers. OneDrive for Business also allows you to share files with others to collaborate on a project.
- To access OneDrive for Business from the internet, login to your Western email account via the web.
- Click on the app launcher icon in the upper left corner.
- Select OneDrive from the list
- To access OneDrive for Business from a computer, login on the computer.
- Click on the File Explorer icon in the taskbar
- Select OneDrive from the list on the left in the File Explorer window
- You may be prompted to go through setup the first time you access OneDrive from a computer. Enter your Western email address and follow the prompts.
- Here is a link with tutorials on how to use OneDrive for Business:
If you need further assistance please contact the PC Service Help Desk at 608-789-6266 or firstname.lastname@example.org.