Using Remote Desktop Connection Off Campus for Students
This document provides instructions on how to use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to your office computer from a location off campus. Prior to using Remote Desktop Connections, you will need to check with PC Service to make sure that your office computer is setup to allow remote connections.
Please refer to the Find the Computer Name Knowledge Base document to determine the computer name needed for step #3.
1. Navigate to Remote Desktop Connection:
a. Click the Start icon (lower left corner).
b. Scroll down to the W’s section.
c. Click the drop-down arrow next to Windows Accessories to open the folder.
d. Select Remote Desktop Connection from the list.
2. The Remote Desktop Connection window opens.
3. Enter the name of the computer you want to connect to. (Please contact PC Service if you do not know your computer name).
4. Click the drop-down arrow next to Show Options and the following window appears.
5. Click the Advanced tab and then click the Settings button.
6. Enter the following Connection Settings:
a. Select Use These RD Gateway Settings.
b. Server name: RDSGW.westerntc.edu
c. Check Bypass RD Gateway Server for Local Addresses.
7. Enter the following Logon Settings:
a. Check Use My RD Gateway Credentials for the Remote Computer.
8. Click OK.
9. You will then be asked to enter your credentials:
a. Username: western\your network username.
b. Password: your network password.
10. Click OK.
11. A window appears which asks about a security certificate. This is normal. Please place a check-mark next to Don’t ask me again for connection to this computer. Then click Yes.
12. You will then be logged into the computer.
13. When you are finished with the remote session. Click the Start button, click the Power button and then click Disconnect to end the session. This will keep you logged in on your office computer.