Remote Desktop from Mac to Windows 10
This document provides instructions on how to use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to your office computer from a location off campus using a Mac. Prior to using Remote Desktop Connections, you will need to check with PC Service to make sure that your office computer is setup to allow remote connections.
Please refer to the Find the Computer Name Knowledge Base document to determine the computer name needed for step #7a. If you are a student please contact your instructor for assistance.
1. Open your App Store.
2. In the app store search for Windows Remote. The search bar is located at the top right of the app store window.
3. Click on the Microsoft Remote Desktop App.
4. When you are the on the Microsoft Remote Desktop app page click on Get and then Install.
5. After the app has been installed click on the Launchpad icon on your dock.
6. Find the Microsoft Remote Desktop app and open it.
7. After you open the app you will need to add a PC.
a. In the PC name text box enter your computer name.
8. Next click on the dropdown for the Gateway and click Add Gateway…
9. Enter the following information in the Gateway Name: RDSGW.westerntc.edu
a. Click the ADD button.
10. After you enter the require information click the Save button.
11. To start you Remote Desktop Session click on you computer name in your selection window.
12. You will now be asked to login with your Western account.
a. For the username use your FULL Western email address or use western\username (student ID number or network username).
b. Your password is your Western password.
13. You will get Warning Certificate window. Please click Continue.
14. To end your remote connection. Click on the Microsoft Remote Desktop option at the top of your screen. In the drop down please click on Quit Remote Desktop.
If you need further assistance please contact the PC Service Help Desk at 608-789-6266 or firstname.lastname@example.org.